Saturday, September 3, 2011


I found this horizontal long scroll landscape painting in a book and was fascinated by it. I started to entertain the idea to emulate it. But after several false starts I realized it was something I could not do at this level of my skill. However, on September 1st I took up my brush and tried once again. In about 8 hours or so I finished half of it, and then next day I worked through the rest and put in the calligraphy and autograph. My version looks very rough and raw to say the least. But it proves true the adage: Where there is a will, there is a way. Only after I completed it did I find out who the original painter (龔賢 Xian Gung)is.

According Mr. Mei(梅墨生), editor/artist, this long scroll of landscape painting best exemplifies a special constructional technique: moving points of perspective. That is, instead of one perspective as most art work does, this one shows multiple perspectives, as if one is viewing the endless landscape by sitting in an airplane flying along.

No comments:

Post a Comment